Easy Health Habits during the COVID19 pandemic that support a strong immune system:
Take Vitamin C and Vitamin D
Suck on Zinc containing lozenges
Practice mindfulness or other forms of meditation
Practice deep breathing
- Try “square” breathing: inhale for a count of four, hold for a count of four, exhale for a count of four, hold for a count of four. Slow down to counts of 6 or more.
Mobilize your thoracic vertebrae gently and make sure your diaphragm is moving well.
- Tai chi and qigong are good for this
- Some types of yoga can help with this
- Simple stretches will work too ( cat, cow, arm swinging/twisting torso)
If you are strong and resilient, keep doing cardiovascular activities as they make your lungs healthier.
Try to get to bed by (or a bit before) 10 pm.
- Get 8 hours of sleep every night, more if you feel tired.
- Try to sleep about the same amount each night.
Drink lots of water
Moderate your caffeine and alcohol intake.
- If you are getting headaches or hangover symptoms from either, you’re drinking too much.
- If your headaches are withdrawal, get rid of the coffee or alcohol now so you don’t have to keep putting your liver and immune system under stress.
- If that sounds impossible, consider that this is temporary. You can pick your habit back up when the danger of COVID-19 passes. Unless by then you are so happy with your new energy you don’t want to!
- Still seem impossible, just cut down a little every few days.
Just do one thing new each day, or a little bit of a few things. Be gentle with yourself, but choose discipline and action, consciously, as a way to manage your anxiety rather than avoidance with TV, food and alcohol.